How can I set up a MS Word document to use with PDF-eXPLODE?
Our company would like to send MS Word documents using PDF-eXPLODE as it does not seem possible to attach the Word document to an email as a PDF attachment, nor can you apparently attach other additional PDFs with the outgoing email when using MS Word's mail merge, besides the benefit of encrypting the PDF document with a password. How can we set up MS Word to work with PDF-eXPLODE?
Microsoft Word® documents are text-based documents. You can send different sections of a document to different people using PDF-eXPLODE which is a huge advantage of PDF-eXPLODE over MS Word's mail merge. All of the pages associated with the same e-mail address will be combined into a single PDF file. The best way to insert a PDF-eXPLODE tag into a Word document is to type it directly into the page header. Only pages that begin with a PDF-eXPLODE tag will be included in a PDF file depending on your " Exploding Method " set up in the PDF-eXPLODE backend " Options."
In the above instructions, we typed each Tag into the Word document Header by selecting a particular Page and manually typing the text as shown in the example above into the header. If each Tag has to send a selection of contiguous pages (aka “running pages”) and you have many different Tags, it would be more convenient to REMOVE the Tag from the Header and move it to a blank line in the Detail Body of the Word text , and type the Tag text on page ONLY WHEN the tag text must change. The document has 25 Pages.
For example :
- Page 1 tag will be <pdfexplode> firstname.lastname@example.org </pdfexplode>
- Page 9 tag will be: <pdfexplode> email@example.com </pdfexplode>
- Page 15 tag will be : <pdfexplode> firstname.lastname@example.org </pdfexplode>
- Page 24 tag will be: <pdfexplode> email@example.com </pdfexplode>
Let's say we want Pages 1 – 8 to go to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pages 9 – 14, Page 24-25 to go to email@example.com
Pages 15 – 23 to go to firstname.lastname@example.org
Change the EXPLODING METHOD in PDF-eXPLODE Options as shown here from Mail Settings
Save/Print the Word Document to PDFeXPLODE printer and it will email 3 PDFs as configured.
If you wish to use an XLS/XLSX file which contains Customer data like Name/Address/Contact/Email to “FEED” data to the document – aka ‘Data-Mail Merging’, then follows these instructions.
We will modify the way this Word document processes by making it part of a Data Merge process.
- Open your Word document
- Click on the MAILINGS tab and then on Select Recipients to select Use Existing List.
- Select an XLS/XLSX file containing column headers in the first row and 2++ rows down the data under each column – One column must be an Email address – Make sure the column is headed “Email”
- Now open the Word document Header by double clicking in the Page header space.
- Next we type into the header <pdfexplode> </pdfexplode> with two spaces between the right and left < pdfexplode> identifiers
- Insert the cursor between the Identifiers and click on Insert Merge Field button to drop down a list of column headers – click on Email to insert text like : «Email» .
- So now the Header text (aka “PDF-eXPLODE Tag”) looks like this : <pdfexplode> «Email»</pdfexplode> and remove any blank spaces
- Make the header text font ARIAL/ 8 PITCH. We leave it black.
- Now click on PREVIEW RESULTS and verify that pages 1 – 5 each have one record row of the XLS and the email address is showing. If all OK, then change font color to WHITE
- Click on FINISH & MERGE ( to a new document). Scroll through the new document pages and pick a few headers, change font to Black, check, then change back to WHITE font.
- If happy with resultant merged document, then click FILE/PRINT and print to PDFeXPLODE printer to deliver\
PREVIEW TAG – Click these buttons to scroll through records in the spreadsheet