Once the PDF-eXPLODE Print Server version has been installed on the Server, you must then install the PDF-eXPLODE Print driver on each workstation that is to connect to the server. What do I install and how do I configure it correctly?
The server PDF-eXPLODE installed printer must first be shared. This may have been done already as part of the PDF-eXPLODE server installation instructions. If not done then, go to the server and select Printers and Faxes from the Start menu.
I If using Win 7 or Vista, this may be called ‘Devices and Printers’, whereas under Win 2008 this will be located as ‘Printers’ under Control Panel.
Now right click on the PDFeXPLODE printer icon and select ‘ Printer Properties ’ from the popup menu. On the screen that opens, select the ‘ Sharing ’ tab. Now check the box ‘Share this printer’ and give it a name like ‘ PeXSharePrinter ’ or any other appropriate name. To avoid confusion when sharing this printer to workstations over the network, please name the shared printer anything but PDFeXPLODE. Please also check the box ‘Render print jobs on client computers’.
Next, you need to check the Printer configuration. For a Print Server, Report Server, Terminal Server and Desktop version, these instructions refer to the original installed PDFeXPLODE Printer on the Server or Desktop. In the case of a Print Server version, this configuration MUST be carried out BEFORE you create the workstation Printer.
Follow these steps:
ADJUST PRINTING PREFERENCES under the GENERAL tab
i. Right click on PDFeXPLODE printer under Printers and Devices and select Printer Properties.
ii. On the General tab, click the button Preferences to access the “Printing Preferences” screen. Now click the button “Advanced” to open the configuration screen.
iii. Click on the ‘ + ’ next to Graphic and then click on the TrueType Font dropdown and set it to “ Download as Softfont ”.
iv. Next click on the +PostScript Options and select TrueType Font Download Option dropdown and set it to “ Outline ”.
v. Next, ensure that Postscript Language Level is 2 by clicking on the UP/DOWN arrows. This generally defaults to 3 which you have to change to 2.
vi. Click OK and then on the previous screen click APPLY and then OK again to EXIT back to the Printer Properties/ General tab.
ADJUST PRINTING DEFAULTS under the ADVANCED tab
This part of the configuration looks very similar to the Printing Preferences, but it is not. For a server related version, it can only be done on the Server itself and not on the workstation. On a Desktop version, it must be done on the PC itself. These settings (Printing Defaults) are used each time a print request to the PDFeXPLODE printer is originated from the PDF-eXPLODE code and not manually. It is most important to adjust this configuration to successfully process files when printed from your report to PDFeXPLODE printer.
i. Click on the ADVANCED tab and then click the button (bottom left) Printing Defaults . In some instances this button maybe disabled due to local environment security. If that is the case, the Printer needs to be opened with the Run As Administrator menu option from the printer queue.
ii. This will display a similar screen as encountered before. However the screen caption will say “ PDFeXPLODE Printing Defaults ” as opposed to previously “ PDFeXPLODE Printing Preferences ”.
iii. On this Printing Defaults screen, click the ADVANCED button and configure the Printing Defaults exactly as in points i to vi of PRINTING PREFERENCES
iv. Click OK to exit this screen and then APPLY and OK buttons to exit back to the printer properties' General tab.
xi. Now click Print Test Page button and a PDF should be created and saved (by default: C:\PDF-EXPLODE\PDFS folder – unless your General Settings in PDF-eXPLODE have been changed
This completes the PDF-eXPLODE printer server configuration.
If you have just configured a Print Server printer, then now you are ready to create a PDFeXPLODE printer on the workstations. The following scenarios exist when sharing a PDF-eXPLODE Server printer across the network, to your workstations. The instructions steps below are only required for a PDF-eXPLODE Print Server version Workstation printer install/configuration and must be done only after the server printer has been properly configured.
The Server processor and workstation processor are both the same type: i.e. they are either 32 Bit or 64 Bit. In this case the PDFeXPLODE print driver and registry settings are identical on both systems so the following is done to connect the workstation to the server:
Step By Step
- From the Printers and Faxes select Add a Printer and the screen that follows, select Add a network printer.
- Select PDFeXPLODE or PeXSharePrinter (whichever name appears) from the list of available network printers and click NEXT to complete the PDFeXPLODE installation on that workstation.
- Now go to section “Configuring the PDFeXPLODE Workstation printer driver to complete the installation
- Once done, right click on the workstation PDFeXPLODE printer icon, select Properties (Win XP) or Printer Properties (Win 7) and click Print Test Page. Allow one minute and then go to the Server and look for the PDF output created under PDF-eXPLODE program folder\PDFS. The output will show the workstation ID and it’s printer driver properties. This must be clearly legible in color. (If not, go to Configuring the PDF-eXPLODE workstation)
- You are now all done
In this scenario, the Server and workstation processors are of different processor types i.e.: Server may be 64 Bit and the workstation 32 Bit or Server is 32 Bit but the workstation is 64Bit. Due to the differences in the processor type, the Server’s print drivers cannot be copied to the workstation (as in scenario 1). Hence you must do the following:
64 bit PDF-eXPLODE PRINT DRIVER
Install the full 64 bit PDF-eXPLODE PRINT DRIVER software on the workstation if your workstation is 64 Bit and the server is 32 Bit. The download link is here:
Username: PEXEvaluation Password : passMENow
32 bit PDF-eXPLODE PRINTER DRIVER
Username: PEXEvaluation Password : passMENowEither of the links will only install a PDFeXPLODE Printer - this installed Printer operates as a full license.
After installation completes, go to Printers and Faxes under the ‘Start’ Menu open the Printer properties by right clicking the PDFeXPLODE printer icon.
- Go to the Ports tab. View the current setting – It will have a port called PDFeXPLODE. This is a “software” port. Click Add Port, then highlight Local Port in the new screen that appears, and click New Port button.
- For the port name, enter exactly the network path and share name of your printer - This could be (example only): \\WIN2008_32B_SERVER\PeXPrintShare .
- You can also use the IP address ( \\192.168.1.14\PeXPrintShare ) of the server and the shared name instead. Click OK, and check that this new port is selected with the checkbox next to it.
- Click OK to close the printer properties.
- Now test the printer by selecting the General tab on the Printer Properties and click Print Test Page button. Go to the server console and check if a PDF was created on the server. The processing could take around a minute to complete. No activity is visible on-screen as the server PDF-eXPLODE configuration is set to ‘ Very Silent ’. To find the PDF location, double click the PDF-eXPLODE server desktop icon and open the Printer menu/Options/General Settings. The ‘Default Document Path’ is where you should expect to find the PDF.
Image related to Step 3 above
It is possible that the printed PDF output from this workstation may have problems with the font. This is due to the font rendering differences between the workstation 32 Bit processor and the server. The following MUST be done on the workstation PDFeXPLODE printer driver to ensure that correctly rendered output is sent from the workstation to the Server for PDF processing. Please follow the instructions below:
- Right click on PDFeXPLODE printer icon on the workstation and select Printer Properties or just Properties depending on the menu option appearing.
- On the General tab, click Preferences, Advanced and click on the ‘+’ next to Graphic and then TrueType Font and set to “ Download as Softfont ”.
- Next click on the +PostScript Options and select TrueType Font Download Option and set to “ Outline ” . Now click OK and exit from Properties by clicking OK