How do I correctly Tag a document for PDF-eXPLODE processing - what are the rules for a tag?
Incorrect exploded file names or archived folders are only a few of the errors I seem to get in the Log. What are the rules for a Tag?
What is a "TAG"?
A "Tag" is a string of text in a specific format conforming to some rules you set. PDF-eXPLODE will process the rules based on the order of the Tag text from left to right, provided that the tag conforms to the rules shown below.
The tag consists of 3 sections, each optional but at least one part must exist on a page between a pair of front and back nodes (<pdfexplode></pdfexplode>)
You insert PDF-eXPLODE tags in your documents to indicate which settings to use when exploding and e-mailing documents. The general format is:
The ‘%’ indicates the end of Variables, whereas as ‘#’ confirms that the word infront of it is a Message ID. The email address must always be at the end of the tag. Each part is optional. You must have at least one or more of Variables, Message ID or email addresses. If you have nothing between the open and close nodes, then PDF-eXPLODE will convert that page to a 'blanktag.pdf'.
You insert a "tag" on each page, typically as the first line in the page header, as this tag will automatically be displayed on each page. However there is no restriction to creating a tag in the body of your report or even the Group header or footer; however since Group headers and footers do not always repeat on each page, this means that you may not achieve your desired delivery result. The tag can be n the following standard format:
- All tags must start ("open") with <pdfexplode> and end ("close") with </pdfexplode> - these are known as "nodes"
- Open and close tags must match one another in case (i.e. uppercase, lowercase or mixed case).
- All tags must always include a client identifier, which may be an e-mail address or a filename
- An optional message identifier, if used, must precede the client identifier and be followed by a pound sign (#)
- Tags must be formatted with the Arial or Times New Roman font, and the color may be set to White to hide the tag. The tag's font pitch must be NO LESS than 7 pitch.
- All tags must fit entirely on one line and must never run into other document text or graphics
- You may include as many tags per page as desired.
- The total length of a tag excluding the "open"/"close" pdfexplode nodes must be less than 190 characters (Version 2 & 3) and 240 characters (Version 4 ++)
Although the Tag length allowance is 240 characters, there is an overriding Windows rule that requires the (Exploding Path + Tag Length) NOT to exceed 250 characters. The actual MAX_PATH value is 260 characters, but PDF-eXPLODE uses 10 characters of the 260 to add "_expl.pdf" to the tag name along with a 1 character end of file marker.
If your actual tag length is less than 240 characters but you have a long explode path, the full path+filename could exceed 250 characters and the program will "Hang" or you get a Windows error and no further processing will occur.
If that happens, reduce the size of your tag and move the file save path to a shorter exploding folder path. Alternatively, contact 3000AD Systems for a pdfexplode.dll patch (exploding engine) if you are using PDF-eXPLODE Version 18.104.22.168 Nov 2016 or later.